The Life Not My Own

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Then Sings My Soul: A Book Review

Have you ever wondered what the story is behind your favorite hymn or song?  Then look no further than Then Sings My Soul: Book 3 by Robert J. MorganThe third of an installment of books, this book tells the stories behind some of the greatest hymns of all time. 

I really enjoyed reading through all of the stories, and I found them both encouraging and enlightening.  One that I found especially interesting was they hymn “Victory in Jesus”, by Eugene M. Bartlett.  Bartlett was a music publisher his whole life, but this particular hymn wasn’t written until during his last two years of life.  This was the last song he would ever write, and it was written after a stroke left him partially paralyzed.  During the hardest time of his life, he wrote about the victory he had in Jesus.  How incredible is that?

One of the things I liked most about this book was that the author included not only the lyrics, but also the music.  As an avid piano player, I loved being able to read about and then play this compilation of songs.  This helped too because I wasn’t familiar with a lot of the hymns.  I’d be interested in reading the first two books in the series to see if the hymns are more recognizable.  However, I thoroughly enjoyed the wide variety of hymns, which were written all the way between A.D. 400 and 2001. 

If you enjoy hymns and worship music, I would definitely recommend this book.  It will also be a great teaching tool for our children later on.  What a great book to bring to family worship time!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At March 21, 2012 at 2:17 PM , Blogger Emma Frances said...

    I think my mom has read some of these books and absolutely loved them! And she always shares the stories behind the hymns that she finds interesting. :] I love this!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home