The Life Not My Own

Monday, March 12, 2012

One Thousand Gifts: The Plum Tree

IMG_0689


Spring is in full swing here in the Ozarks.  It seems like everybody keeps holding their breathe for one last winter storm, but each day gets a little warmer, and each day winter seems more and more like a thing of the past. 

A couple of weeks ago, our plum tree started blooming.  Last spring I was enthralled with all of the blooming trees and flowers springing up everywhere you looked.  Spring in the Ozarks truly is a magical time.  But last spring, I didn’t have the plum tree.  In wonder I watched as the buds began to form, and then started to open into the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen.  And oh, how they smelled sweet!

Each morning I would sit at my kitchen table, gazing out at that plum tree.  It was like a fairy tree revealing all its mysterious glory.  I couldn’t help but thank God every time I saw that tree.  After all, what does it reveal about Him, that He would craft something so entirely captivating? 

The blooms are starting to fall and the leaves are branching out.  The enchanted look of the tree has now faded into the background.  My gaze is onto the next thing to spring up or bloom.  Yet, in my memory I hold the image of that lovely tree…and the promise of what each spring will hold.
 
261. Spring, the time when I see His handiwork most clearly here in the Ozarks.
262. Getting to gaze out my window at plum trees and flowers blooming, instead of concrete and cars.
263. The magical effect of daffodils springing up along every ditch.
264. The earthy smell that pervades our yard after rain.
265. True friends and fellowship.
266. Joining hands with brothers and sisters in Christ to serve the Lord by cleaning up yards for people who need it.
267. Another good report about baby…just one more week and we get to find out if Baby Baker is a him or a her!
268. Feeling Baby Baker move all the time now…and Andy being able to feel it too!
269. Another sweet cousin for our own baby, due in October.  Congrats to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law!
270. Another week to spend living the life God has given me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At March 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM , Blogger jubileesong said...

    Ah, yes. Spring in the ozarks. My favorite parts of spring were the flowering dogwood trees. Isn't it amazing how a single tree full of flowers can bring such joy? Such a creative Creator we have.

     
  • At March 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I LOVE the dogwoods too! There's not many around our house, but by our old house there were tons. I love how their blooms just appear throughout the forest! And yes, you are SO right!

     
  • At March 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

    Spring is such a delightful season! I had to smile as I read through what you shared . . . I have been noticing and thinking many of the same things as I enjoy the beauty of God's creation during these days. It's always such a treat seeing the beauty of spring unfold after the brown of winter! Flowers, green leaves, the delicious scents in the air and so much more.

    And as this is my first time commenting (though I have been enjoying your posts for awhile :) and as I haven't yet commented on a very special thing mentioned in this post, congratulations to you on your coming little one! What a precious blessing from the Lord. I am so happy for you!

     
  • At March 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Heather @ Simple Wives said...

    Plum trees are so beautiful! Maybe someday we will have one in our yard. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home