The Life Not My Own

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Somewhere You Feel Free

On day’s like today, I’m reminded why I love my life.  I’m reminded how much I love living where I live.  And I’m reminded how blessed I am.

I had a day off from work, so I drove down to Conway to meet a friend.  We ate lunch at a trendy brick-fired pizza place, and shared a delicious garden pizza, complete with artichokes, tomatoes, and feta cheese.  Then we had some of their delectably rich gelato. 

Then we went to one of the most amazing consignment shops I’ve ever been to (thanks to another dear friend for telling me about it!).  We shopped.  And shopped, and shopped, and shopped.  It was so fun to have someone to shop with who has such similar tastes.  It was also fun to shop somewhere with high quality clothes (Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Calvin Klein) for prices I can afford.  I ended up getting two dresses and a blouse, all for $24.  Yes, $24! 

Next we went over to the consignment furniture store next door where I found the best find: an older glass globe on a wooden stand for $40!  I knew Andy had always wanted one, so I got it. 

We ended the visit with delicious Morning Matte tea made by my sweet friend.  What a perfect drink for a rainy day!  It was such a sweet time of fellowship and getting to know each other better.  I’m so blessed to have her in my life!

Finally, I drove home amidst a misty late afternoon.  I enjoyed the slow, windy drive through the mountains.  The green grass overflowed into the road, and the beautiful trees hung down, just a hint of gold already resting on their leaves.  The clouds rose and fell, and wisps of fog hovered in the valleys.  I passed three deer on the side of the road, enjoying the green brought out on the rain.  In a field two calves played, bucking at each other and running.  Around a bend an old wooden barn lay nestled in a clearing.  On each turn I felt the car hug the road, turning perfectly to match it.  All the while I wished I was able to capture the sights I saw in pictures, so I could share them with those I loved.  But all I was left with were pictures in my head, memories of beautiful sights. 

Just before coming into town I hit a patch of fog, but as I came down the hill into town the fog broke and there below me lay my town, my home, lying peacefully in the little valley.  I sighed in contentedness.  And I thought of the one who waited for me. 

And then I pulled into our driveway. Through the windows the lights were inviting and welcoming.  And inside I found my sweet man, the one thing I had missed all day.  He had a surprise waiting for me…a beautiful, warm fire in the fireplace in our bedroom.  He had climbed way up in the dark attic to get it  hooked up for me!

We ate our comfort food dinner: meatballs I had left in the crock pot all day and mashed potatoes.  Perfect for a chilly evening, when Fall was first beginning to show herself.  Perfect for the last day of summer. 

And as I sat reflecting on the day, I thought about how blessed I was to have such a carefree life.  A life free from too much stress or worries.  A life where I can take the time to drive slowly and drink in the beauty God has placed there. 

What a gift that is.

"You belong among the wildflowers,
You belong somewhere close to me,
Far away from your trouble and worry,
You belong somwhere you feel free."
~Tom Petty, "Wildflowers"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home