The Life Not My Own

Friday, August 26, 2011

Five Minute Fridays: Older

Once again, I'm linking up to Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.  Today's topic? Older.

When I was little, I always wanted to be older.  I thought that if I could just reach a certain age, then life would be a breeze.  I now know that's far from true.

Getting married young (I was 20), I felt like I was almost flung into the big world of adult life.  Suddenly a lot of responsibilities were laid on my shoulders, and while I had thought I was adult, I suddenly felt very young and inexperienced.

Marriage changes you like nothing else can.  It matured me in so many ways, and it still is.  I still struggle with feeling like people see me as "young".  Yet, I'm stepping into my skin.  I am beginning to realize that I don't have to be older to be a confident woman.  When I feel and act older, then people treat me as older.  They see me as older.  And, while that may not be a good thing to everybody, at my stage in life it is.  I need that confidence that comes with being old enough to be a woman...to take care of myself and others.


  

3 Comments:

  • At August 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM , Anonymous Val said...

    The power of standing up confidently in who we are really is amazing, isn't it? I've been married 8 years and I have three kids and I still don't feel like a grown up. Sometimes I look around and go, "You mean, *I'm* the responsible one here! Uh oh!" But God gives us grace in it. I'm comforted in the though that most of the other "grown ups" around me probably feel the same way. :) And Marriage does have a beautiful way of helping us to mature and smooth our rough edges off. I like that God made it that way.

     
  • At August 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Allison said...

    I completely relate to this. I so often feel like a kid still, but have to remind myself that I can be a confident woman, even if people see me as really young. (I often get comments about how young I work from parents of students in my classes)

     
  • At August 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Coming over from FMF, I remember when I was pregnant with my first baby, I was driving one day feeling so grown up and thinking "I am driving a car, I am married and I am going to have a baby!" LOL! Now many years and 7 children later, I am being looked at more and more as the older woman. The time passes quickly. Blessings from the Lord today! <3

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home