The Life Not My Own

Friday, June 15, 2012

Preparing for Baby: Books

One of the things we were most excited about on our recent trip to AZ was getting to go to Bookmans.  For those of you who aren't fortunate enough to live in Flagstaff, Bookmans is just about the best used bookstore ever.  And, as any elementary ed major at NAU knows, they just so happen to have a really great children's book section.  Like, amazingly great.

One thing you should know about me is that I am a HUGE advocate of early literacy.  I could literally go on-and-on about it, but I'll spare you. :) It's no surprise, then, that one of the big things I wanted to prepare for the arrival of Baby B was a good start to a children's book library.  I knew that Bookmans would help us do just that.

It didn't disappoint. 


Really, though, it was just as fun for us looking through the books as it would be for a kid.  It's amazing how much emotional sway a book can hold over us, isn't it?  Just seeing a book can instantly bring back a whole slew of memories.  When we were checking out, the store worker snatched up Blueberries for Sal and exclaimed, "I haven't seen this in years...I loved this book!"

Isn't that what a good book is supposed to do to us?  I can't wait to share some of these favorites with our sweet little man!  But, anyway, I digress.





Here's a list of some of the (what we consider) classic books we were able to snag:


One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish


The Foot Book


Caps for Sale


Little Bear


The Story About Ping


The Poky Little Puppy


Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day


Blueberries for Sal


Where the Wild Things Are


Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?


The Very Busy Spider






We were also able to get:

Yonder-This was totally a God thing, as I've been looking for this book for years!


How I Became a Pirate-We'd never seen this before, but it's very cute and, we thought, quite necessary for a little boy ;)

A stack of the classic little golden books

Several picture books on Arizona

Several other favorites






Books we still want to get:


Green Eggs and Ham


God Dog Go!


Goodnight Moon


The Runaway Bunny


Are You My Mother?


Curious George


The Very Hungry Caterpillar


Corduroy


Stone Soup


The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh


A Beatrix Potter collection

The Story of Ferdinand


If You Give a Mouse a Cookie




We're also looking for some good children's Bibles and Bible story collections.


What were some of your favorite children's books growing up?  Any recommendations?




PS: Be sure to check out Newlywed's Bliss today.  There are several great posts up, and I'm discussing making vacations with in-laws and family "work".  Check it out!




Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At June 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Elisabeth said...

    I loved the story about Ping! My favorite children's Bible I've ever seen is the Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones. All the stories are so sweet and weave the story of Jesus's redemptive love for us that I often cry while reading it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home