The Life Not My Own

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

One Thousand Gifts: Valentine’s Day

I know a lot of people who hate Valentine’s Day.  Either they’re cynical about love or they don’t believe that buying expensive flowers and chocolates one day of the year can strengthen a relationship.  In a lot of ways, they’re right.

The first people have seen marriages based in “love” crumble and fall apart.  They might have even experienced it themselves.  The truth is, love and marriage is hard.  It takes a lot of work and sometimes can be downright messy.  And it’s worth it.


As for the second people, they’re right too.  A marriage that’s dying cannot be saved by boxes of chocolates on Valentine’s Day.  Instead, it takes daily work and self-sacrifice.  It takes giving everything you have and showing your love for your spouse in a million different ways.  But that doesn’t make Valentine’s Day an less important.


Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate love.  It’s a day to enjoy having a “sweetheart” and make the extra effort to be romantic.  While it can’t be the foundation to a marriage, it’s nonetheless important to celebrate together.  What a great opportunity to just stop the hustle-and-bustle of everyday life and reflect on your marriage and your love?

231. Another Valentine’s Day with my soulmate.
232. Little seedlings in my “window garden”…I couldn’t wait any longer!
233. An abundance of south facing windows to let the sun in on my growing number of house plants.
234. Finding joy in the here-and-now.
235. Another good doctor’s visit.
236. Getting to hear my sweet baby’s heartbeat again!
237. Looking forward to learning the gender is just five short weeks.
238. Hearing God speak to me in the smallest, everyday things.
239.Learning to trust God through everything.
240. Having so many people who love me in my life.

IMG_0387

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At February 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Emily said...

    "What a great opportunity to just stop the hustle-and-bustle of everyday life and reflect on your marriage and your love?" I agree. My husband and I don't do much for Valentine's Day because babysitters cost money and places are busy, but it is still a good reminder to slow down and simply enjoy each other.
    Visiting from Ann's today :)

     
  • At February 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Heather @ Simple Wives said...

    Love your list! :) Happy Valentines!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home