The Life Not My Own

Friday, February 10, 2012

Our Crazy Garden Adventure

I’ve always dreamed of having a big garden.  For the past two years, I’ve lived out my dreams in little pots and containers.  This year, though, I’m going to have a real garden.  And I mean, a big one. 

Why we suddenly decided to make a huge 20’x40’ garden the year our first baby arrives is beyond me, but we’re determined to do it.  We have a nice spot picked out, although it’s far from ready.  We’re mixing some of the back-to-Eden concepts with a raised garden bed, so we still have to build the beds, get a layer of top soil, and then add several inches of wood chips.  And that’s all before planting.  Yep, we have our work cut out for us.

This is the garden spot right now, just for future reference:

IMG_0355

Thankfully, though, I have my amazing husband on board.  Not only is he okay with it, he’s excited as well.  Our ultimate goal is to be able to grow the majority of our own produce through seed-saving and non-GMO practices.  Andy also wants to grow tons of peppers and create his own “seasonings”, while I want to can innumerable jars of tomatoes, since we use those so much.

I’ve already had the majority of my heirloom seeds come in, so I’m twiddling my thumbs until it’s time to actually plant them.

This year we’ll be trying to grow:

-Corn
-Winter squash
-Pumpkins
-Pole beans
-Summer squash
-Zucchini
-Peas
-Beans for drying
-Potatoes (red and russet)
-Sweet potatoes
-Celery
-Broccoli
-Cauliflower
-Beets
-Kale
-Spinach
-Lettuce
-Carrots
-Red Cabbage
-Green Cabbage
-Watermelon
-Four varieties of tomatoes
-Two varieties of bell peppers
-Four to Six varieties of hot and sweet peppers
-Tomatillos
-Onions
-Garlic
-Cucumber
-Herbs in a different area of our yard

Yes, we have gone slightly insane, but I think it will be really fun.  What a better thing to devote your time and energy to than a garden that provides for your family, right?

Do you have any plans for a garden this year?  What will you be growing?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home