The Life Not My Own

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Waiting Game

Somehow I got it in my head that this baby was coming early.  I’ve had several friends guess that he’d come early, and I just had that feeling.  I know, I know…I’m just suffering from what every new mom suffers from: wishful thinking

To be fair, I’ve been having more-and-more contractions the last week or so.  I can tell my body is readying itself for this baby to come.   

Thursday night Andy and I went for a walk at the park, and I started having pretty intense contractions that were coming pretty close together.  We went home to relax on the couch, and see if they slowed down at all.  They didn’t, and we started timing.  They were coming exactly 5 minutes and 40 seconds apart.  Regularly.  We started to freak out a bit.  Just before we got to an hour of timing them, they just…stopped.  It was like they just dropped off the edge of the canyon. 

Honestly, I was a little relieved.  As much as I wanted the baby to come, I didn’t feel quite ready.  Once faced with the prospect of labor and motherhood, I kind of panicked. 

Still, I expected the baby to come in the next few days.  Or at least the next week.  We’ve been walking down at the park almost every single night, trying to get the ball rolling.  I firmly believe that Baby B will come when he was ready.  But it couldn’t hurt to give him a push, could it?   

Yesterday morning I was bound and determined to get baby to come.  I had a doctor’s appointment in the afternoon, and I desperately wanted her to say the blessed “h” word (hospital).  First thing in the morning I went to the park and walked and walked and walked.  And…nothing.  Then I went home and bounced on my exercise ball.  Still nothing. 

I had a few contractions on the way to the doctor’s, but, sadly, no luck.  Not a bit dilated.  My doctor will be gone next week, and she was pretty confident that she’d see me in two weeks time.  Yep, I’ll be 40 weeks and 3 days by then.

I’ve pretty much resolved myself to baby being late.  It really won’t be the end of the world.  I know most babies come late, especially firstborns.  Also, baby coming late means my doctor will be there.  And, like I’ve said before, Baby B will come when he’s good and ready.   

So, anyway, as disappointed as I was, I’ve decided to make the best of it. I’ve working on a little “bucket list” of sorts, of things I want to do in the next few weeks before Baby B makes his appearance.  Top of the list?  Sleep. :)   

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home